Magee Gammon News Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (ATED) Rate Changes

Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (ATED) Rate Changes

ATED is an annual tax payable mainly by companies that own UK residential property valued at more than £500,000. You will need to complete an ATED return if your property is a UK dwelling and was valued at more than £500,000 and is owned completely or partly by a:

  • company
  • partnership where any of the partners is a company
  • collective investment scheme – for example a unit trust or an open ended investment vehicle

Returns must be submitted on or after 1 April in any chargeable period. There are reliefs and exemptions from the tax, which may mean you do not have to pay.The ATED charges automatically increase each year in line with inflation (based on the previous September’s Consumer Price Index (CPI)).

The ATED annual charges will rise by 3.1% from 1 April 2022 in line with the September 2021 Consumer Price Index. This table shows the property band and what the revised charges will be for the 2022 to 2023 chargeable period.

Taxable value of
the property
Charge for tax year
Charge for tax year
£500,001 to £1,000,000 £3,700 £3,800
£1,000,001 to £2,000,000 £7,500 £7,700
£2,000,001 to £5,000,000 £25,300 £26,050
£5,000,001 to £10,000,000 £59,100 £60,900
£10,000,001 to £20,000,000 £118,600 £122,250
£20,000,001 and over £237,400 £244,750

Note that there are numerous exemptions and reliefs from ATED, in particular companies renting properties to third parties and those involved in property development.

Revalue ATED properties at 1 April 2022

The value of the property for any chargeable period is the open market value at the  later of:

  • the date of acquisition
  • the revaluation date

In order to calculate the ATED charge the property needs to be revalued every 5 years and the next revaluation date is 1 April 2022. As residential property has increased significantly in recent years this may bring more companies owning residential property within the ATED charge.

Please contact us if you have an ATED property and we will assist you with working out the charge and submitting the required return.

Related Posts