Magee Gammon Blog Tax Snow, Santa Claus and claiming marriage allowance

Snow, Santa Claus and claiming marriage allowance

Graham has safely returned from his trip to Lapland after having a very successful meeting with Mr Claus. During the meeting Graham told Mr Claus about the Marriage Allowance which lets you transfer £1,060 of your Personal Allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner. This could reduce their tax by up to £212.

Your Personal Allowance is the income you don’t have to pay tax on, for most people it’s £10,600.

Adding £1,060 to your partner’s Personal Allowance means they’ll pay £212 less tax in the tax year (6 April to 5 April the next year).

You can apply for Marriage Allowance if both:

  • your partner’s income is between £10,601 and £42,385
  • you and your partner were born on or after 6 April 1935

For the 2015/2016 tax year you will need to apply before 5th April 2016

Apply for Marriage Allowance



Related Posts